1980 Ducati 900 Supersport
Photos by Alex Lee
In October we we're lucky to have this awesome looking 1980 Ducati 900ss from our friend Nicholas who has an amazing collection of bikes. This is the last iteration of the Bevel – Desmo drive Square Case 900 Super Sport from Ducati.
This particular Canadian model Bevel drive 900ss was completely restored and improved from factory standard only where required to provide modern day safety, reliability and handling, all the while maintaining, in every respect, the beautiful aesthetic quality and style of the original design and colour scheme.
No expense was spared to replace all parts, where available, from factory NOS parts bin and many factory race related parts also found its way to this ambitiously successful restoration. All mechanical parts including the entire motor have been either renewed, refreshed and tuned at time of restoration; and has been diligently maintained since completion of restoration some 5 years ago.
This is a highly collectable motorcycle for a connoisseur and enthusiast of premium vintage and rare motorcycles of the Ducati brand who appreciates the beauty and engineering of the era, as well as the visceral yet smooth riding experience that only a bevel drive could offer.
Below is a general but not all inclusive list of restoration:
- Frame and all bodywork completely and expertly repainted with proper new decals and clear coat
- Handmade all aluminum Imola tank custom painted with vertical polished strip to reminisce original gas viewing window on fiberglass tank; polished Moza gas cap and NOS petcocks
- NOS complete seat unit directly imported from Australia
- New windshield, new chrome chain guard.
- Wheels powder coated to original gold colour
- New custom drilled polished rear sprocket with new O-ring gold chain
- Billet one piece (slip on) rear axle adjuster sleeves replacing old style aluminum plates.
- All gauges have be refreshed and recalibrated
- All new wiring harness, connectors, circuits and NOS switchgear where applicable
- Motor completely rebuilt/refreshed to original specification
- Completely rebuilt/refreshed Dellorto 40mm carburators with K&N style air filters
- Custom made gear gazer with oversized window ( to view bevel drive at work)
- Polished engine case and front fork.
- Factory racing two into one single piece header and exhaust in chrome
- Electronic Ignition and new coils
- Marchesini clip-ons with Brembo brake master, Brembo black levers and new Ducati grips
- Front fork completely rebuilt with Works Performance springs with new adjustable preload fork caps
- Works Performance fully adjustable polished stainless steel rear shocks
- Custom side mounted steering damper-stabilizer
- Brakes completely rebuilt with braided lines
- Fresh oil change with straight 50 weight motor oil
There are many more upgrades and improvements that are not listed above such changing all the nut and bolts from original cadmium to polished stainless, new (green) fuel lines etc. etc. This motorcycle works and runs as nice as she looks. It is a show quality performance vintage motorcycle that you can reliably ride on a daily basis.
Thanks so much to Nicholas for letting us share it with you! Check out some of Nicholas' other bikes on his instagram!